Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Plans for 2015-2016 School Year



This school year, which for us will start a week from today, will be the first time that I've had only one student in our home school since 1999. In June we graduated J, and E and T graduated in 2010 and 2014 respectively, so now it's just B and me at home doing school. It's also Year 19 in my homeschooling journey.
Heritage Christian School

B will be a high school sophomore this year, and here's our plan through Heritage Christian School of San Diego:

Bible: Book of Common Prayer 2011, Lectionary Readings and Morning Prayers (ESV Scriptures); The Story of Christianity by Price and Collins for Church History.

English 10: Masterpieces from World Literature (ABeka); Easy Grammar Ultimate Series Grade 10; Spelling Power; Copywork; Editor-in-Chief B-1; Star Wars Mad Libs; Brave Writer Assignments

World History: World History and Cultures (ABeka)

Biology I: Exploring Creation through Biology (Apologia Biology) with Lab at Heritage Christian School East County II Class Day

Geometry I: with Saxon Algebra I (with Geometry), tutored by Julie Brennan

Elective: Chess and Games at Heritage Christian School East County II Class Day

I'll also be adding in some art assignments throughout the year, probably a semester's worth by the end of the year. I'd love to have him take some art classes, but they just aren't in the budget this year.


Heritage Christian School East County II Class Day

While B is taking his double-period Biology Lab and his after-lunch chess and games class, I'll be teaching Expository Essay I and II at East County II Class Day. Over the course of 18 meetings, I'll have my class of twelve students writing ten essays, plus a college-level research paper:


  • Keen Observation (descriptive paragraph: 500 word minimum)
  • Biblical Influence Essay (five-paragraph, 1000 word minimum)
  • Contrast Essay (five-paragraph, 1000 word minimum)
  • Comparison Essay (five-paragraph, 1000 word minimum)
  • Definition Essay (five-paragraph, 1000 word minimum)
  • Literary Analysis Essay (five-paragraph, 1000 word minimum)
  • Poetry Explication Essay (five-paragraph, 1000 word minimum)
  • Timed In-Class Essay (five-paragraph, 1000 word minimum)
  • Exploratory Essay (1000 word minimum)
  • Persuasive Essay (five-paragraph, 1000 word minimum)
  • MLA Research Essay (five-seven page minimum; minimum five sources)


Brave Writer

My Brave Writer schedule is lighter than last year with only one literary analysis class which are the most intensive classes I've taught online; my last literary analysis class generated more than 1,100 posts over four weeks! I especially love teaching three of the Family Workshop courses in grammar, poetry writing, and Shakespeare!

Fall Term:
Groovy Grammar Workshop: September 8-October 2

MLA Research Essay: October 5-November 13

Playing with Poetry Workshop: November 16-December 15

Winter Term:
Groovy Grammar Workshop: Dates To Be Posted (TBP)

MLA Research Essay: Dates TBP

Playing with Poetry Workshop: Dates TBP

Spring Term:
Shakespeare Family Workshop: Dates TBP

Literary Analysis: Shakespeare's Hamlet: Dates and Description TBP

Summer Term:

Fan Fiction: Dates TBP


So here are our homeschooling plans for the 2015-2016 school year! I think they'll keep us fairly busy...but I hope with some room for writing for me...perhaps even NaNoWriMo in November??

Have a wonderful school year!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin